Bookish New Years Resolutions 2016
This year I am eschewing my yearly Reading Challenge ritual. I’ve come to dislike them and find them a bit easy. I always go for the same ones: HF, women authors and NF. Instead I am focusing on these Bookish New Years Resolutions, my GoodReads challenge (96 books) and Bitches Book Club participation.
- Read at least 96 books, novellas, short stories, manga and graphic novels.
- Read up to 5 translated works.
- Read a book based in or by an author from every continent.
- Read all the dragons. At least 5 books on magical creatures!
- Read at least 10 nonfiction works (max of 2 biographies/memoirs).
- Read 10 books from my physical TBR.
- Read at least 10 books from my Goodreads TBR.
- Read from at least 5 different fiction genres (my picks: Fantasy, World Literature, Historical Fiction, Classic, YA or Thriller/Mystery).
- Reread 2 book series.
- 10% of reads should be written by POC authors or with POC main characters.
- 10% of reads should be written by LGBTQIA authors or include LGBTQIA characters (that have more than 1 line and aren’t token characters).
- Read at least 1 book that explores neurodiversity and 1 that explores disabilities/being differently abled.
- Purchase 1 book per month maximum (I don’t have to but I’m trying to focus on purchasing books I’ll really like versus on a whim).
My overarching goal is just to have fun reading widely. It is definitely achievable and the only effort involved really is the finding (which isn’t as difficult as it first seems). But hopefully the finding of more diverse works will become much easier as publishers (and audiences) realise these other perspectives are equally as desirable and engrossing. These are the things I’m keeping in mind as I seek out books to read this year.
- Read at least 50 books
- Read at least 15 books from my TBR
- Read at least 50% women authors
- Read at least 35% authors of colour
- Read at least 25% translated works
- Read at least 15 non-fiction works
- Read at least 1 book from South America
- Read at least 3 books by or about someone with a difference (physical or mental)
- Read at least 3 books by or about someone who identifies as LGBTQ+
- Finish a series for the first time ever in my life!!! (What will it be? Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings? The Raven Cycle? A Series of Unfortunate Events??)
- Read at least 1 book over 500 pages???? (maybe?)