Top 5 Authors We Haven’t Read Yet

Based on a post written on the Reluctant Reader, Nikki and I will examine which “Top 5” Authors we haven’t even attempted (or attempted and missed) to read.

Top 5 Authors We Haven’t Read Yet

Claire

31693 40102 62659 340793 168646

1. Jeffrey Eugenides: I’m going to make an effort to include authors I actually want to read sometime in the future in this post, instead of filling it with stodgy classic writers (I’m not a fan of classics, I don’t like being told what to read or being told to read ‘good’ books or literature, PAH to them I say). As such I’m including Eugenides on this list. I watched the Virgin Suicides, never read it, but I’ve wanted to read Middlesex for sometime so I think one day I shall give him a shot.
  2. Junot Diaz: Haven’t heard read anything of him before but I’ve heard great things, so, why not?
  3. Kazuo Ishiguro: Again, watched the film but never actually read. I’ve heard he’s a good author too.
  4. Neil Gaiman: I don’t actually know, or understand how I haven’t read anything by him. I think he’s a brilliant person and I’ve read his interviews and… I haven’t yet read anything! How! This will be amended soon.
  5. Haruki Murakami: All because of Nikki, she’s been saying I need to read something by him and I will. Eventually.
    • Likely first read: Norwegian Wood because I own a copy (Nikki got it for me for Christmas!)

Divider

Nikki

31693 40102 62659 340793 168646

1. Jane Austen: This one is pretty much just for cultural learnings. If it turns out I like her purported witty social commentary, great! Despite never having read it, the story of Pride and Prejudice is far too familiar for me to want to make that my first Austen.
    • Likely first read: Persuasion (which I already own: paperback)
  2. Malcolm Gladwell: I really enjoyed Freakonomics which I think is in the same vein andGladwell has been in my periphery for a while now. I even recommended his books to my dad (despite having not read them…) who is now a majorGladwell fan.
  3. Noam Chomsky: My dad loves Chomsky’s work and we have similar tastes. I also feel like it might help me to get a better handle on politics which greatly interests me. I liketo be informed.
  4. Virginia Woolf: As you’ll already know if you read A Testament to Failure (DNF), I did put down A Room Of One’s Own after only 13 pages… But I’m not ready to give up on it (or on Woolf in general) yet! >:|
  5. Kurt Vonnegut: Funny, dark social commentary? Yes, please. I have a feeling his humour is in line with my own…I hope I’m right!

Who are some authors you’ve been meaning to get around to reading?

NameNikkixClaire

This entry was posted in Lists and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Top 5 Authors We Haven’t Read Yet

1. Jackie G. says:

I took a Japanese culture class in college, and one of our required readings was Haruki Murakami’s After the Quake. It was fantastic and one of the few required readings I’ve ever made it through. I ended up buying Norwegian Wood as well as IQ84 post college, but I admit I haven’t finished reading either. I started IQ84, but it is HUGE, so I feel a little overwhelmed by it.

I thought Norwegian Wood was a good read. And I’ll check out After the Quake. I’d had a bit of a Murakami disappointment after Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and, if I’m honest, I don’t know if I’ll ever get around to 1Q84…

2. Pingback: Sunday Post (February 1) | Girl of 1000 Wonders

3. You have chosen great authors and amazing books.
    I’m so happy that I found your blog. Love it xx

4. moosha23 says:

These are all awesome authors! Hmm, authors I look forward to reading include Malcolm Gladwell (my library has What the Dog Saw), Emma Donogue (she wrote Room, and the premise is very interesting), and David Levithan (some people love him, others hate him…I wonder which side I’ll be on…I’ll probably start with Every Day).

I keep seeing Emma Donoghue’s name around but usually it’s in relation to Frog Music. I have heard mention of Room as well and it does indeed look like an interesting premise! I’m often wary of stories with young kids (especially precocious ones) and stories from their perspectives, but it seems to have been generally rather well-received.
      Haha, good attitude towards Levithan: deciding to go into the great unknown of whether you will or won’t like him regardless! I read a preview of Boy Meets Boy and I couldn’t continue. I think it just wasn’t the book for me. It sounded like a fun read, but a lot of small annoyances built up…I don’t blame Levithan so much as my tastes and I’m not prepared to say I don’t like him just yet.
      I hope you get around to each of these authors at some point. Maybe this year? who knows!…YOU know. That’s who.

5. Middlesex is one of my favorite books! Highly recommend! And Austen and Vonnegut are two of my favorite author. slaughterhouse five is a typical first read, but if you are looking for something that is less scifi, I also recommend Bluebeard. That is my favorite Vonnegut book.

Oh, I’ve heard someone else mention Bluebeard being a favourite. I was a little worried that I would have to be “Vonnegut initiated” as it were to bridge any possible adjustment gaps. Can one just jump in without having been previously acquainted with Vonnegut (for reasons of acclimation to his style/humour)?

6. You guys listed some very good authors. May I make some suggestions regarding some of their novels?

YES! please! Suggest away! I love book recs :3

• Just based on my own tastes and experiences: Middlesex is a good choice – a great read. Junot Diaz I’d start with The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao; Neil Gaiman, I’d choose Neverwhere, or Stardust if you like fairytale-like stories. Kazuo Ishiguro, I’d go with The Remains of the Day, which feels like a Classic but was actually written in the 1980s. And Murakami, 1Q84, or, if you want something shorter, Kafka on the Shore.

Persuasion is a great Austen novel. Pride and Prejudice too! Malcolm Gladwell I’d po with Outliers. Kurt Vonnegut, my fave was Slapstick and Cat’s Cradle. I’ve never read Noam Chomsky or Woolf, but when I do I will start with To The Lighhouse.

Anyway, those are my recs! Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for the recommendations! I didn’t put Ishiguro on my list, but I actually am starting with Remains of the Day (I bought it the other day after much hemming and hawing). Personally, I thought Ocean at the End of the Lane was a good start to Gaiman (I may be biased as it’s also the only thing I’ve read by him, but it was a really great read and it has given me a desire to continue reading him).
          I haven’t read 1Q84 (I am weary of lengthy introductions…just in case! haha) or Kafka on the Shore. How surreal and cohesive is the latter? I feel like Norwegian Wood was a good testing-of-the-water book with him, though – after reading Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, a short story or two and now a quarter of the way through A Wild Sheep Chase – I’m thinking it is more atypical.. Good though!

Outliers was actually going to be my likely first! I don’t think I’ll get the copy my dad set aside for me for a while and I was getting eager to just jump in! As for Vonnegut, I haven’t heard of Slapstick at all, but Cat’s Cradle seems to have mixed great and lukewarm reviews so I wanted to try starting with something that gave him the best chance of impressing me. I was actually initially looking at Mother Night but thought I’d go for the one whose name kept popping up (and gets listed as “classic dystopia” all the time since I seem to gravitate towards those). Do you think Slaughterhouse Five is actually not the best place to start with him??
          I think if I get into fiction with Woolf it is likely to be Orlando – the story seems more interesting to me…..aaaand, honestly, I suspect her style may not naturally suit my tastes so I’m hoping an interesting story will give her a good headstart! 🙂

• I think the Ocean at the End of the Lane was ok, but personally did enjoy Neverwhere more. That’s probably my favorite Gaiman novel. Kafka on the Shore is very surreal and not too cohesive hahaha. I don’t know, I think that that if someone were to read Murakami for the first time, they should start with the surreal and weird books…then if they like that, they can move on to his more normal and mundane novels.

Slaughterhouse 5 is fine..that is what most people would start with. I guess Slapstick is a bit obscure, and may not be for everyone…?

To be honest, I don’t like Woolf’s style of writing either, and I’m not really inclined to read her novels. It’s just that I’ve never read her either but I might one of these days.

Ah, I’m of the opposite opinion; I like to gradually introduce people to an author (especially one like Murakami) rather than just chuck them into the depths of that author’s world. If I’d started with Wind-Up Bird Chronicle instead of Norwegian Wood I’d have written him off pretty quickly due to issues of discontinuity, misogyny and aimlessly meandering…

My next Gaiman is likely to be Coraline (just because I already have it on my shelf and figure it seems like a quick, fun one) but I’ll happily add Neverwhere to my list too! It doesn’t matter so much to me what the second read is once I’ve been hooked by the first! 😉

Haha, we certainly do seem to be on the same page about Virginia Woolf!