2014 Reading Challenges I’ve Entered

ReadingChallenges2014

I’m going to do a review of the Reading Challenges that I completed and utterly failed (I.E. every challenge EXCEPT the feminist one, I failed everything else *sobs*). I will take that as a learning lesson, however, because it taught me something valuable: Don’t sign up for a bagillion reading challenges, you will not complete them.

That being said, I’ve signed up for a few here, at decent levels so I need not worry about trying to cram books into it!

Non-Fiction Reading Challenge

Dilettante: 5 books

2. Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
  3. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
  4. On the Map: A Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks by Simon Garfield
  5. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain

2014 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge

Renaissance Reader: 10 books

1. Citadel (Languedoc #3) by Kate Mosse
  2. Perfume by Patrick Suskind
  3. Company of Liars by Karen Maitland
  4. The Collector of Dying Breaths: A Novel of Suspense (Reincarnationist, #6) by M. J. Rose

Rest of the list is forthcoming.

Women Challenge

Level 2: BABY GIRLS – read 6 to 15 books written by a woman author

1. Citadel (Languedoc #3) by Kate Mosse
  2. Goblin Fruit by Laini Taylor
  3. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  4. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
  5. The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2) by Carrie Ryan
  6. The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan
  7. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
  8. The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy, #2) by Margaret Atwood
  9. MaddAddam (MaddAddam Trilogy #3) by Margaret Atwood
  10. Company of Liars by Karen Maitland
  11. Princesses Behaving Badly: Real Stories from History Without the Fairy-Tale Endings by Linda Rodriguez McRobbie
  12. Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
  13. Entangled (Spellbound #1) by Nikki Jefford
  14. Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee
  15. World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2) by Susan Ee

2014 TBR Pile Challenge

Master List: 12 TBR books (Added before 2013)

1. Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee
  2. Citadel (Languedoc #3) by Kate Mosse
  3. Goblin Fruit by Laini Taylor
  4. The Magician by Lev Grossmas
  5. The Magician King by Lev Grossman
  6. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
  7. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  8. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
  9. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  10. Perfume by Patrick Suskind
  11. On the Map: A Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks by Simon Garfield
  12. Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

Alternates

1. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
  2. Just My Type by Simon Garfield

GoodReads Reading Challenge

Level: 50 Books

Divider

Wish me luck! I hope that I have better success this year than last year.

Name

This entry was posted in Reading Challenges. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 2014 Reading Challenges I’ve Entered

1. joyweesemoll says:

Looks like some fun reading. I’m joining you on the Nonfiction one. I like your list. I’ve read Quiet and The Power of Habit and liked them. On the Map sounds cool.

2. Catherine says:

Multiple challenges?! You’re one brave lady (with a great blog name!). Good luck with all that reading!

3. Hi Claire and welcome to the Women Challenge šŸ™‚
    Happy reading!

Valentina

4. DoingDewey says:

Oh, I love your list of non-fiction titles! With just five books, you’re already reading several of my favorites (Quiet and Lean In) and the rest I’ve heard really good things about šŸ™‚

5. Lisa says:

Wow, you’re going to have a busy (and I hope amazing) year! I’m not allowing myself any challenges in 2014 (other than Goodreads)… but your women writer challenge looks doable for me, since I read a lot of women authors anyway. You’ve got such awesome books picked out! I still have to read MaddAddam, but Oryx & Crake and The Year of the Flood are incredible books. Oh, and I need to continue with the Lev Grossman books — only read #1 so far. Enjoy, and happy new year!

6. Tara says:

I think these look like reasonable challenges for a graduate student. I look forward to hearing your thought on Quiet, the Atwood books, and Gone Girl. You’ve got some good reading ahead of you.

How long is your grad school program?

7. Princesses Behaving Badly is a book I’ve picked for my Bingo challenge (where I need to read a non-fiction to cross of a square) The historical challenge looks fun, but I’m already participating in too many so I had to take it down. I’m going to do the TBR pile one and Goodreads of course. I’ve set it for 115, although I secretly hope to make 150 (since I’ve read 146 this year) In total I’m doing 7 challenges, haha. I’m a bit addicted. Good luck with your challenges and happy reading! šŸ˜€

Challenges are so addictive! What’s not to love about them all?! I’ve set my lost to 100 this year but hoping I make 125. With school that might be hard but I’ll try anyway. Gonna check your page so I can see your other challenges!

8. scentfragrance says:

That’s a lot

• scentfragrance says:

Sorry typo! That’s a lot of challenges! All the best! šŸ™‚

Lol ā¤ Thank yoooou! You signing up for any?

• scentfragrance says:

I’m signing up for the 2014 good reads challenge and the classics club classics challenge.

I’ve also set myself some goals of like reading 10 non-fiction in 2014 that kind of thing. I don’t want to commit to any official challenges coz it’s such a pressure and I don’t want to burn out.

It’s A LOT less than last year, I think I joined 7 challenges with some books demanding 50 books to finish the challenge. I did well but with school this year, I figured, 2 books a month for the challenges wouldn’t hurt. PLUS, a lot of the challenges intersect, so if I read a book on the list, it may count for 2 to 3 of the challenges.