This is going to just be a written list y’all, most of this isn’t applicable to everyone but this list sure as hell would have helped me!
6 Months Before You Move:
- Apply for your visa early.
- If you do not hear from your department or anyone about the visa process, ask.
- Book housing, if possible. Or just do it ASAP, this is horrible at the last minute.
- Book ticket, again, if possible! I did this 3 months ahead of time and I was OK but I’d have liked to have done it earlier. It’s so much cheaper!
- Get your head wrapped around the fact you’re leaving.
1 Month Before You Move:
- Give your boss your 2-weeks or 1 month notice? Or ealier if that should so please you? (I left work a month before I went to school).
- Inform landlord of final rent.
2 Weeks Before You Move:
- Get your cell phone unlocked, if possible.
- Start changing currencies, if possible.
- Decide on how you will get your money from Country A to Country B and inquire as to local services to make this happen.
- Book bus from airport or confirm travel arrangements with people in new country.
- Confirm hotel arrangements or housing arrangements, again, if applicable.
- Make a budget.
- Take cash for the first week!
1 Week Before You Move:
- Pack appropriately (If possible, find out from friends or people living in the country what the weather is like and what is culturally expected).
- Pack small items from home (For instance, I took guava and pineapple jam and was given a rum cake for the journey).
- Pack small memorabilia (I have Bahamian flag stickers, just small ones on my laptop or mirror).
- Do not pack books.
- Finalize your money, wire transfers, bank drafts or currencies.
- Cancel any bank accounts you may not need or cancel any accounts anywhere in general that are liable to cost you!
- Make a schedule of important events or events you’re required to go to ahead of time (I can’t tell you how many times I have or other students have missed important meetings because we were too tired to check what was going on).
- Get your hair cut, meet with friends, say your slow goodbyes.
- Purchase any electronic converters, if possible.
When You Arrive And Get Over Jet Lag:
- Get a Bank Account.
- Have all the paperwork for new bank account ready. Because if not, the money fairies will make you cry.
- Get a local SIM or cell phone.
- Skype the important people in your life.
- Purchase essentials: hangers, kettles, hamper, sheets, bedding, etc.
- Get a local library card (Most important thing on this entire list and in the entire world!:))