Literary Listings: My 5 Favourite Manga

I was introduced to manga when I was around 7 and sort of ran with it with my obsession reaching a peak at around 14 and 15 and slowly fading out till I no longer read any manga at around 18. I still love the stuff though. I’m particularly interested in magic-girl genres and I credit manga and Sailor Moon for helping me to develop a kick-butt sort of girl-power attitude. Well, manga and the Spice Girls.

My 5 Favourite Manga (In No Particular Order)

Mayuki-Chan In Wonderland by Clamp

So this one isn’t for your average teenager. Hardly so, I saw more whips, garter belts, bustiers, panties and corsets in this manga than any other!

I was around 15 when I got this and thought it was suitable for YA and of course, my parents didn’t know any different so I got it. I was a bit wrong but it is a fascinating re-telling of Alice in Wonderland with a quirky and of course, sexual twist.

Revolutionary Girl Utena by Chiho Saito

I credit this manga for developing my idea as to different people, societies, cultures and sexualities. I grew up in The Bahamas where you really didn’t have any education on diversity and I was overjoyed to read about gay and lesbian characters and see a few different skin tone shades! Utena is a kick ass female character with a decidedly french flair.

Wish by Clamp

CLAMP is an amazing group that has produced a large number of kick-ass manga. Wish is one of my favourites and was one of their newer ones. I also learned about censorship from this manga, because the American version of these comics translated the protagonist as She, but in the Japanese (and Tokyopop) versions, the protagonist is a He and rightly so. They changed the pronouns because the protagonist falls in love with a man. So I was pretty pissed when I realised the attempted switcheroo.

Magic Knight Rayearth by Clamp

I love MKR! This manga follows a more traditional format in that their is a trio, water, fire and earth who kick butt with an obvious leader and love interest.

Each character fills a personality niche, one is quiet and studios, another is blunt, feminine and aggressive, and the last is well rounded and tom-boyish. I never had issue with this typical personality split, because the artwork in this series is just stunningly gorgeous.

Sailor Moon by Naoko Takeuchi

Sailor Moon is like my Harry Potter love in a manga form. I wanted to be a Sailor Scout so badly that I started learning how to draw just so that I could design my costume (I was Sailor Sun by the way and I had a lot of red and gold in my costume).

I didn’t have the complete collection when I was younger but I see now that another manga publisher has released revised sets of the series and I think I’m going to grab them if I can.

I know some of you out there enjoy manga, what are your favourites?

Name

This entry was posted in Lists and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Literary Listings: My 5 Favourite Manga

1. scentfragrance says:

I love Magic Knight Rayearth and Sailormoon too! Their anime are fantastic!

Some of my other favourites are:
    1) Ouran High School
    2) Alice Gakuen
    3) Vampire knight
    4) Bleach
    5) Prince of tennis
    Have you read them?

Err I’ve only heard of bleach but I’ll give the others a look. I’m definitely getting into anime and manga again!

• scentfragrance says:

Do give the other a look! They were the more popular ones, I believe, when they were serialising in the manga magazines.

Have you watched Gundam Wing/Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Destiny? Fantastic mecha anime!
        Saiunkoku Monogatari is a really cool empowerment of woman in ancient china-like setting anime πŸ™‚

2. Pingback: My Bitchin’ Rundown (September 15 to 21) | Bitches With Books

3. Cee says:

YES. SAILOR MOON. That was my entire childhood, wanting to become one of the Sailor Scouts (specifically Sailor Venus). I collected the sticker cards, and I carried a big locket and wand I got from the toy store. Lol. Those were the good days. πŸ˜€ I was always mad that everybody talked about Dragonball Z and not Sailor Moon.

4. DoingDewey says:

I’ve tried a few graphic novels, but haven’t ever read any Manga. If I do sometime, I’ll definitely consult your list for a good one to start with πŸ™‚

5. prettybooks says:

I’ve never read manga! At least, I don’t think I have. It’s definitely on my list to try at some point.

I do have Cardcaptor Sakura on DVD though.

6. You know, I have never read a Manga (seriously typed ‘Mango’ first) book, but the Sailor moon one should be fun. I liked the TV show πŸ˜€

7. Heather says:

I haven’t been able to get into Manga, but both of my kids love it. Have you read the Death Note series? They both say that it’s fantastic.

8. Our manga tastes are from like two different eras hahahahah! So glad to hear you enjoy the stuff though! I was addicted to them when I was 12. But I still enjoy them! Animes too! I’ll definitely check these titles out. My fave manga would be Vampire Knight! Have you heard of it? πŸ™‚