Day 14: Tell us your deal breakers.
Erm, so this list might be a bit longer than I’d like to admit. I’m not a book snob (but, I am? I don’t know), but I have some serious deal breakers.
But sometimes that doesn’t work, so I have to rely on these things to keep the excitement alive (why does blogging sound like a relationship? It’s like a bad self-help book!):
- Overly gratuitous romance. I don’t like romance. I don’t pick up romance books. So if a regular book has a ton of it? Bye.
- Female characters I can’t relate too.
- Chauvinistic male characters. Overly domineering. Ugh.
- Culturally, ethnically, religiously or basically, insensitive books.
- Overly Americanized books. I’m from The Bahamas, so books that glorify any country, I have trouble with but some books describe the USA like it’s the only country there. I will chuck you.
- Insensitive characters. Different from my 4th complaint. When I mean insensitive characters, I mean overall assholes who seem incapable of a kind deed.
- Unrealistic situations (unless it is the fantasy genre, I won’t accept this). This tends to be a stickler for me, because I think I’m a purist with my realism.
- Female characters that spend too much time talking about boys, make up, clothes and so on.
- Killing animals (why? Like those murder mysteries about the serial killer and they describe the death of a dog in painful detail, why? Why?).
- Gratuitous violence, sex, and cursing. I especially hate sexually loaded cursing such as the C-word. Makes my skin crawl.
- Rape. Last one, I will not read a book that involves rape. Even if it proves a point, I can’t.
This list could be longer.