Literary Listings: 5 Books Quirky Can’t Stand

So I won’t ever say the word hate, well for some of these I really actually did hate them and nearly flung them across the room, but most of these books… I just can’t stand them. I have no desire to read them or ever hear about them ever again. I know in the book blog world we like to be very happy and talk about stuff we like, but sometimes, I need to vent and this is one of those times.

Now take note, I’m not saying these books are bad, that these authors are bad or that anything is bad here. I just didn’t like these books.

5 Books Quirky Can’t Stand:

The Shining by Stephen King

I know this is a cult classic.

I know there are many people willing to tell me about how awesome this book is and how awesome Stephen King is.

I know, it’s just a bundle of awesome.

That being said I found this book a bit too tedious to enjoy, finish or even purchase. I borrowed it from the library and I tried to finish it, I tried to enjoy it but nope. It didn’t happen.

Becka Lamb by Zee Edgell

Ok, so many of yall won’t know about this book, but if anyone here grew up in the Caribbean and took regular English classes, you may have/ probably were forced to read this as part of the course. And Oh-Mah-Gawd, this book is troubling.

It was hard to read as a teen, and even more painful as you get older. I get what Edgell was trying to do, but she handled pregnancy and basic, female ‘goodness’ in a stereotypical and contrived manner. Plus, Becka is just boring.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

This is another popular one that might get me in trouble. Oops.

Well, ok, I don’t even know where to start. I read this one in my teens, my dad got it for me on one of his few trips abroad and it was highly recommended by the people at the bookstore he went to.

For some reason, I couldn’t get into this and spent more time hoping and praying every page was the last, than actually understanding and enjoying the novel.

I am willing to reread this in attempts to understand what I’ve been told is a great book.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

This is another book I didn’t quite understand.

Even now, as I try to write about it my head is getting confused and I sort of end up staring at the screen. Sort of how I stared and reacted to this book actually

Oh well.

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown

I didn’t enjoy this book for specific personal reasons.

I read this during a time when I was exploring my own coming-out process and reality as a gay Bahamian and I found Brown’s perspective to be very limiting and off-putting. Also, the main character was someone that my friends and I found very, very annoying.

I get that this book is old, so it’s forgiven, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Name

This entry was posted in Lists. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Literary Listings: 5 Books Quirky Can’t Stand

1. DoingDewey says:

I am also a devoted fan of Douglas Adams and sci fi in general, so I’m excited that you’re thinking of getting into sci fi some more and giving it another go. In addition to the great list snowtinsel suggested, I’d recommend Hyperion (which is weird but awesome and has some elements of other genres you might enjoy). Michael Crichton and Ray Bradbury are also very approachable sci fi authors 🙂

2. Hitchhiker’s Guide is one of my favorite books… but I can understand where it could fall short with some people. Adams’ humor was interesting… I know that reading the “Farside” comics by Gary Larson helped to get me antiquated with that sort of humor haha. I never made it through the Shining either- but I DID stay at the hotel when I was a kid haha.

• bwithbooks says:

You did? Wow, what was the hotel like?

My problem with the Adams’ book is the humor, and it is mostly because… I have no sense of humor. I’m known for not getting jokes, innuendo’s or anything. I tend to be very cut and dry and literal, so his style was a turn off for me. The content, however, I will admit was cool.

• It was an experience… that’s for sure. There were PEOPLE there so it wasn’t too scary but it was just the air about the place… something unsettling… but oh so beautiful.
        And… no sense of humor… I don’t even… I’ll most likely piss you off at some point haha I apologize in advance!!

3. Kelley says:

The only one of these I’ve read is The Shining. And I’m pretty sure it was one of those Stephen King books that I got halfway through and then quit. I didn’t HATE it, like you do, but I just couldn’t muster up enough interest to continue. Blah.

The one I hate the most, though, and don’t understand why everyone likes is Catcher in the Rye. UGH, it is the WORST.

• bwithbooks says:

OOOH… Catcher In The Rye is up there, beliiiieve me it’s up there. I always feel bad when I don’t like a book, especially if it is deemed a classic or something just plain awesome, but sometimes books don’t mesh! They’re like people, yinno?

4. snowtinsel says:

The only one on here that I’ve read is Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which I absolutely adored with all my heart and soul. But I can also totally see why someone would not like it; it’s CRAZY. I need to read Life of Pi. I never really cared to read (or watch) The Shining. And I hadn’t heard of the other two books.
    Sometimes we need to talk about the books we hate, can’t stand, or merely dislike. 🙂

• bwithbooks says:

Sometimes it’s necessary. I won’t bitch and whine again, I’ve got it out of me, it’s done. Hazzah. Gone.

I’m willing to try Hitchhikers Guide again, but I’ve got to some mental prep. Maybe I wasn’t in a good frame of mind when I first read it yinno?

• snowtinsel says:

Yes, sometimes it is necessary. 🙂

Yeah, maybe if you read some good, solid sci-fi first, and THEN try to read Hitchhiker’s Guide, it’ll be better? I mean, it’s a pretty big spoof on a really wide genre. At least that’s how I took it.

• bwithbooks says:

That’s a good point. Maybe I need to enrich my inner sci-fi geek and see what happens 🙂

• snowtinsel says:

Sounds like a plan — I can even recommend some oldie-but-goodie sci-fi! My dad was a huge sci-fi nerd and so he always has books for me to read. 🙂

• bwithbooks says:

I’d really welcome some recommendations 😀

• snowtinsel says:

All right, let me see here… 🙂

Well, I like the Star Wars novels, but that universe is so huge now that I can’t really tell you where to begin, haha. Otherwise, here are a few to start with:

Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card (It’s a series, of which I’ve only read the first two, but they are excellent.)

Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke (Also first of a series, but good as a standalone.)

A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller Jr. (I read this a long time ago, and it’s more of a post-apocalyptic tale, but it is also excellent. This is one of my dad’s favorite books.)

Oh, and many of Ray Bradbury’s books are sci-fi. He’s one of my favorite authors.

So there you go! These are older books, but hopefully you give them a shot. 🙂