Feminist Reads Challenge

ReadingChallenges

Who? Feminist Reads Challenge
When? January to December 2013
What? I went to Smith College, the school of feminism. Well they pretend to be and as a feminist reads challengewomen’s college, we’re pretty high up there in the heady and nervy category. As such, this challenge was the one that broke my rule, which was no more than 5 challenges. It won’t be hard as they allow for some cross over with other challenges.

What is a feminist though? The Hiding Spot defines it as:

Feminism is supporting and helping to create strong girls and women.Women who have the ability to take care of themselves, who believe in themselves, and who have the freedom to pursue their dreams and share their beliefs, values, and opinions.

Feminists encourage and support strength, independence, individuality, and passion in women of all ages.

Feminists fight for people. Yes, they obviously fight for women, but I think it can also be said that they fight for what is right. For equality for all. For every person to have a voice, an education, a fighting chance.

Level? Hard (10+), below are my proposed books for this challenge:

Hard, 10+ (10 books)
Status:
DONE!

  • The Host (View Review)
  • The Witch’s Daughter
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) (View Review)
  • State of WonderĀ  (View Review)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles #1)
  • The Space Between (View Review)
  • Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
  • Roses Have Thorns: A Novel Of Elizabeth I
  • The Lost Madonna
  • Libyrinth (Libyrinth #1) (View Review)

The problem I’ve had with this list is, I’ve read nearly 95% of the books on their suggested lists, and then I added a bunch to their lists. The other 5%, I’ve had no interest in reading though, so I had to search for these books. It made me realise that the majority of the books I read have strong female leads, I don’t enjoy reading books from a male POV. Hmph, guess I been reading feminist this whole time!

When I’ve finished a book I’ll obviously cross it off the list and add the date finished and any review that I might have made for it.

Name

Advertisements

About Claire (BWB)

It's Claire (aka Quirky) from Bitches With Books, an online book blog that serves up a healthy dose of book reviews, lists + literary madness.
This entry was posted in Reading Challenges. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Feminist Reads Challenge

  1. Pingback: Guest Review: The Distant Hours | Bitches With Books

  2. Pingback: Series Review: Need | Bitches With Books

  3. Pingback: Review: Seraphina (Seraphina #1) | Bitches With Books

  4. Pingback: Review: Incarnate (Newsoul #1) | Bitches With Books

  5. Pingback: Review: The Space Between | Bitches With Books

  6. Pingback: Review: The Lost Madonna | Bitches With Books

  7. Pingback: Review: State of Wonder | Bitches With Books

  8. Pingback: Review: The Penelopiad | Bitches With Books

  9. Pingback: Review: Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2) | Bitches With Books

  10. Pingback: Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) | Bitches With Books

  11. Pingback: Review: Libyrinth (Libyrinth #1) | Bitches With Books

Let's talk! Leave a reply:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s