Happy Hour: Gully Wash (A Caribbean Series Drink)

Happy Hour 16

Inspiration behind Gully Wash:

So let me just gush a bit first before I give you the details on this drink. First of all, this drink is a Bahamian drink. As yall know, I’m from The Bahamas, born and raised and still living here. Now, one of the drinks we go crazy for is our Gully Wash. Now, Nassau people call it Sky Juice, but the out islanders call it Gully Wash. This is the type of stuff we drink at any moment, after church, for dinner, partying. We love it. I LOVE it.
I get emails from people sometimes asking me what it’s like to live in The Bahamas and what not, but this is a good representation of our liquid culture. Also, the drink is a culturally Bahamian thing, but the book, God’s Angry Babies is also a great literary representation of The Bahamas, so why not pair the two?

Warning, this drink is strong. We don’t do it weak. Also, this drink is very informal, it’s not written down every where, we just know how to make it and everyone does it a bit differently. This is the recipe my friends and I use on a Friday night.

Gully Wash:

(Serves many)
6 oz. Gin (the cheaper the better, hey, we gotta make do on a broke budget ok?)
6 oz. Coconut Rum
14 oz. Coconut Water (the more coconut chunks the better)
1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
Optional: Mix in a couple tbsp. of Cinnamon

Make It:

• Pour Gin and Coconut Rum to jug filled with ice cubes.
  • Pour Coconut Water into jug.
  • Add can of Sweetened Condensed Milk to taste.
  • Mix.
  • Tip: If the drink is too strong add more coconut water, some people add sprite. I don’t recommend the bubblies though.
  • Pour into High Ball glass or regular plastic cups.

Glass of Gully Wash!

I’m super excited to share this with everyone, as it’s cultural and well, I love this drink so much. Let me know what you think!

Name

This entry was posted in Cocktails, Happy Hour. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Happy Hour: Gully Wash (A Caribbean Series Drink)

1. Rumbum says:

We went to Bahamas on a cruise and now I make it at home all the time. Just wish it was easier to get fresh out of the coconut water and chunks here in Florida. I use the bottled stuff from the grocery store. It’s still good though!

2. Bennie says:

Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I found a
    sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said
    “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She
    put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit
    crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go
    back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

3. james says:

i first experienced ot while on a scuba dive trip to the Bahamas.

I had other drinks local to the culture that were more fruity but I liked it the best.

The boat captain Stevan took a friend of mine around to the fish fries and the conch went great with it!

When I came back here to Missouri I introduce it to my friends and it was a hit!

james

4. ts tv cams says:

Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I
    came to look it over. I’m definitely loving the information.
    I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Excellent blog and great design.

5. ALICIA says:

I TRIED THE GULLY WASH AND ITS A GREAT DRINK

6. Pingback: Sky Juice (aka Gully Wash) | Inspiration Tree

7. Sky Juice, all the way!
    I like it on the lighter, sweeter side. Probably because I’m not a fan of gin. I shall share this on my blog too, linking back here, of course. 🙂

8. Pingback: I’ll Drink to That!! Gully Wash « Books, Booze & Beauty

9. Lakeshia Artis says:

This is perfect for my my booksboozeandbeauty.wordpress.com blog. This drink sounds DELISH!!! I’m taking a cruise in June and I have a list of drinks I want to try. I’m definitely writing this one down. I will give you credit for this and reblog it. Thanks so much for a great read!!!